Skip to main content

DIY Making IBM x3650 M4 8x2.5" HS HDD Expander Power Spliter Cable

 Recently I have project that needs to extend IBM x3650 M4 8 bay HDD expander and the kit in online shopping such as ebay, aliexpress are very expensive due to the card has SAS module.

The picture looks like below cost around USD $300 


Alternatively , I found cheaper 8 x HDD expander and the cable with cheaper price and the LSI 9211-8i (Dell H310) will cost you around $60 which is cheaper then the expander kit.

But the problem is the power cable, you can't buy power splitter from above kit. So I bought two single power cable and solder to 14 pin 5557 molex connector. 

14 pins molex, this one goes to motherboard.

16 pins goes to 8 bay expander.


You need to remove the molex pin with tools mentioned below.

Before I remove molex cable from 14pin 5557 connector, I use multimeter to test the connectivity from end to end.

I have removed one pin by one pin and solder to each other the attached back to the first 14 pin molex connector.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing Acer Aspire Z3-605 All-in-one speaker buzzing noise - Part 1

 My Acer Aspire Z3-605 AIO PC speaker has buzzing noise. So I decided to replace the speaker. Unscrew 8 screw from the back side. Total 8 screw at back side Pry up starting from below silver color area. Take out speaker You can see the vibrating membrane or sound film has melted. I search in ebay and the price is about USD $19. So I decided to open and see whether I can just replace the speaker only.  The size of the speaker is 24mm diameter and 10mm thickness. I don't see any label or model no on the back side. I search in google about the wattage of the speaker found it's 3 watts. Then I measured with multimeter and it's 4 ohm. So I searched in China site and found the speaker about SGD $2.  So I just purchased 2 pieces and approximately 2 weeks time to reach to Singapore.  To be continued

How to install Rust on WSL Ubuntu 20.04 on Windows 10

Recently I have installed WSL1 on my Windows 10 (1909) laptop and wanted to try Rust compiler on Ubuntu 20.04. but I have issue with installation. So this GitHub link is working fine. https://github.com/rust-lang/rustup/issues/2245 export RUSTUP_IO_THREADS=1 curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://sh.rustup.rs | sh info: downloading installer Welcome to Rust! This will download and install the official compiler for the Rust programming language, and its package manager, Cargo. Rustup metadata and toolchains will be installed into the Rustup home directory, located at:   /home/myubu/.rustup This can be modified with the RUSTUP_HOME environment variable. The Cargo home directory located at:   /home/myubu/.cargo This can be modified with the CARGO_HOME environment variable. The cargo, rustc, rustup and other commands will be added to Cargo's bin directory, located at:   /home/myubu/.cargo/bin This path will then be added to your PATH environment variable by modifying th...

Building cheap SAN storage for home lab VMware ESXi - Part 2

After the setup has completed, I need to choose which storage software to be used such as FreeNAS, Openfiler , MS iSCSI Software Initiator, StarWind Virtual SAN software etc. I prefer to use FreeNAS but the HP dc7900 do not have ECC RAM. I decided to test StarWind Virtual San with Windows Server 2012. So I installed Windows Server 2012 on the 2.5" 160GB HDD and installed StarWind VirtualSan on that. After that download HP Smart Array software to configure the RAID. I've configure 4 x 146GB SAS HDD to RAID 0 and the space become 584GB of logical drive. I've downloaded CrystalDiskMark software and tested the speed for the SAS HDD RAID 0 with HP Smart Array P410 with 512MB cache. The result is .